13 February 2009

Something 4 The Weekend # 106


Grails: Doomsdayer's Holiday: "Reincarnation Blues" [mp3]

Billy Powell...Lux Interior...Blossom Dearie...

There's been plenty of death here at HOT POOP in the past couple of weeks, which is really nothing more than the confluence of my tastes in music and my age, I suppose...As a middle-aged man, it's only natural that the artists I enjoy and even idolize are beginning to die with more and more frequency...Blossom Dearie was old enough to be my grandma...Lynyrd Skynyrd's plane went down in Mississippi when I was eleven years old, and The Cramps got started when I was in grade school...

In the midst of life we are in death...etcetera...And so these recent deaths are no real surprise, sad as they may be to me personally...

And sure, some of the sadness is because these deaths remind me of my own mortality, which becomes more and more likely with every passing day, month, year, and the fact that I don't believe in life after death as it's popularly understood in Christianity...

The closest I think we get to a life after death is fame and/or a legacy...Kept alive in the memories of others...This too, is a bit troubling to me, because I'm a middle-aged man who will never know fame, will never have children, has few good friends, only slightly more acquaintances, and will probably fade into obscurity long before I slip this mortal coil...

Coil...

Currently, I'm putting my spiritual money on reincarnation FTW, reasoning that if we do indeed have a Soul, it is an energy, and energy cannot be destroyed, only transformed into another kind of energy...Possibly another soul...Or souls...

Which is why I've long believed I have a little bit of Mark Twain in my soul...Just a little, obviously, because I'm not very witty or insightful...

Hotcha! Hank

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home