02 October 2009

Something 4 The Weekend # 137


One of my favorite concerts/shows I ever attended happened here in Madison a few years ago, when I had the pleasure of seeing this Klezmer band, Yid Vicious, perform live at Mama Fool's coffee shop on Willie Street.
Now, Mama Fools is a long, narrow space, which probably has enough seating for about 30 people during normal business hours. On the night I saw YV, there must have been somewhere between 100-150 people packed into the place, and considering the nature of Klezmer music (and other styles of Eastern Europe), many of these people wanted to dance...Nay, were compelled to dance...
Let me just say I've been in hardcore moshpits that were more genteel...
It was a magical night...The rain outside, colored by the street lights and stop lights, was dotting and streaking the windows with diamonds of light, which backdropped the band, itself numbering at least 8-10...
It was a joyful, magical night for a Polack like me...
Hotcha! Hank

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home