09 July 2010

Something 4 The Weekend # 173

10cc: The Original Soundtrack: "I'm Not In Love" [mp3]

This song was all over the radio in the summer of 1975 as my family vacationed in Kentucky and Tennessee, so not only do I associate it with the season, but with camping and spelunking, because really, there wasn't much to do in that region of the country but visit caves, Mammoth Cave National Park being the crown jewel of the whole lot.

It was also the summer when my dad and I met a moonshiner at a gift shop somewhere in KY. We went back to his place, where he had an enormous still, distilling moonshine from corn mash. I remember pestering my dad to let me try the moonshine. He resisted for as long as he could, but a high-energy nine year old by can wear a man down, and so he finally relented. I nearly puked, I almost cried ("big boys don't cry") and I remember telling my dad I would never drink alcohol again as he and the moonshiner laughed their asses off.

Skip to my senior year in high school, and I was pretty much an alcoholic.

Ahh, memories. Ahh spelunking. Ahh, 10cc.

Hotcha! Hank

Labels: , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

love it

July 11, 2010 8:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home