16 December 2006

Something 4 The Weekend # 18


Couch Flambeau roared out of the volcanic Greendale, Wisconsin Punk/Metal scene in 1983, proving instantly that they were the absolute finest and most important rock band in the entire greater Milwaukee area at that time, Violent Femmes be damned to hell for all eternity.

Couch Flambeau: I Don't Want To Be An Eddie: 128k mp3

Sure, all the girls loved the Femmes, but for sheer rock power action, to say nothing of dumb, dumb, dumb lyrical genius, Couch Flambeau were the band to watch, the band to beat, the band to rock out with yr cock out. Couch Flambeau were the band you wanted playing on the stereo at 1am when everyone at yr basement party was fucked up on shrooms, Jaegermeister and Miller Lite. In other words, if you wanted yr drunken dance orgy to keep rocking righteously at the very moment when the chemicals were working at their maximum, "Gone Daddy Gone" just wasn't gonna cut it. Well, it probably would, but for the sake of this argument, no, it would not.

Couch Flambeau: Vipers: 128k mp3

In the grand scheme of my own life in rock'n'roll, I cannot overstate the importance and influence of Couch Flambeau. My first band, The Nads, adhered to the Couch Flambeau rule that "brevity is the soul of RAWK", and my second band, Mumniti, adhered to the Couch Flambeau idea that "dumb is smart". We even ripped off two or three of their riffs, but that's ancient history at this point. In my solo career, Jay Tiller's unhinged guitar playing was as big an influence as that of d. Boon or Eddie Van Halen, and that counts for everything.

Couch Flambeau: Be Responsible: 128k mp3

So, here we are, 20+ years after Couch Flambeau changed the face of Brew City Rock'n'Roll forever, and I finally got around to transferring their brilliant Curiosity Rocks cassette to my harddrive, and you, dear listener, are so damn lucky.

Couch Flambeau: Mayor Meyer: 128k mp3

Hotcha!
Hank

Labels: , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Hank, I came across your blog in a search for info on the Couch Potatoes Curiosity Rocks. I have been searching in vain for even a track list. I see you posted some tracks on your blog, but the link is dead. Could you send me the track list for the cassette and possibly the mp3's? I'm trying to make a tape for friend's 50th birthday. He and I would rock out pretty hard to that tape. Trying to find an actual copy is IMPOSSIBLE. Thanks for any help you can give me. And also, I'm sorry to hear about your cat. I had to put down my cat two weeks ago. Never an easy thing to do, even when it is absolutely the right thing to do. Again, sorry for your loss.
Michael
mzirbel@hotmail.com

August 27, 2014 3:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home