12 May 2008

Sideways Maneuver Rolls Off



This video is kinda boring, but then again, I find it rather interesting how all the kids seem to be much happier than the band itself.

Oh sure, childhood is mostly a happy, carefree time for most - full of innocence and wonder because kids just haven't been around long enough to have life grind down their souls to dust quite yet, but I guess my thoughts are less about those kids than the band, Frightened Rabbit.

Now, I don't mean to single this particular band out, but rather, that it seems indicative of alot of musicians and singers...They rarely seem like a happy bunch, even though they're (supposedly) doing the very thing they love - making and performing music...I can understand how performing gloomy songs doesn't necessarily lend itself to smiling or laughing, or generally being in a good mood, but I would think that even the most dour of artists must feel a certain warmth and satisfaction from time to time because they simply get to do what they (supposedly) love to do the most.

I have no idea what this song is about, quite frankly...Jesus gets mentioned in the first verse, so my assumption is that this is a very serious song about life and death and the meaning of such things, but I haven't deciphered the lyrics quite yet, and that's beside the point - My point is, how can a person perform (or even fake perform) in a classroom full of giddy kids, and not get a bit giddy themselves?

As far as I'm concerned, those guys should have huge, shit-eating grins on their faces, and the fact that they don't makes me believe they take themselves much, much too seriously, and yes, that's a concern. This is rock'n'roll, not a fucking funeral.

(And while I'm kinda on the subject...Hey, all you emo kids and emo bands...You DO realize that happiness is an emotion too, right?)

Hotcha! Hank

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home