31 October 2008

Something 4 The Weekend # 91


Pig Destroyer: Phantom Limb: "The Machete Twins" [mp3]

Happy Halloween, everybody!

Pig Destroyer is a Grindcore band outta Richmond, Virginia. To my ears, they are one of the heaviest, craziest bands working today, and I feel about them how I used to feel about Voivod circa 1987 - that they are cut from a completely different cloth than just about any and every other heavy band in their peer group.

Now, to be honest, I don't listen to all that much Heavy Metal. I enjoy heavy music, sure, but I've always been hung up on the lyrical content of most Metal bands. Alot of these bands sing about death and despair, Satan and Hell, demons and zombies and all sorts of things that might be lumped together under "horror", and to be perfectly blunt, I find their earnestness towards these topics to be nothing short of laughable.

Serial killers are horrific. Rape is horrific. Camp X-Ray at Guantanamo Bay is horrific. The Wall Street "rescue" is horrific. My point is, real life can oftentimes be a motherfucker, and imaginary horrors like vampires and Chtulu, while perhaps adequate symbols for the vague dread of living, just don't compare. Which isn't to say that I prefer songs about rape and mutilation, but that I typically don't listen to music that is meant to horrify and depress, especially when it has no basis in reality. Zombies are funny to me, Satan is a joke, and dudes who wear Mercyful Fate t-shirts and constantly flash "the horns" are some of the funniest people I don't know.

And just in case you want to know the lyrics to this particular song, here they are:

Shannon's got an eye for shallow graves and a stomach that can handle all the gore...Her sister Lucy's in charge of selection seduction and complete lack of remorse...They'll take his wallet down to the mall for the jewelry and the perfumes they adore...Then they'll drive out to Route Five and leave his carcass by the reservoir...They got cornered last year in a Nashville hotel and the girls had to chop a whole S.W.A.T. team to pieces...

LOL!

Hotcha! Hank

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home