11 June 2011

Something 4 The Weekend # 207

Cults: Cults: "Bumper" [mp3]

Last night I went to a house party over on Jennifer Street. It was hosted by a friend of a friend of a friend named Dean, and his girlfriend and/or wife (I'm not sure), Sara(h). A dude named Clive was playing disc jockey, manning a laptop hooked up to an appropriately sized PA system, and for the most part, he did alright.

Being a friend of a friend of a friend, I knew pretty much nobody at this party. Being a slightly older outsider, the soundtrack of the evening wasn't necessarily my cup of tea, but Clive's song selections, a mix of mostly modern (from the past decade) R'n'B and Hip Hop, with some Indie Rock thrown in, seemed to make most people happy, so who am I to complain?

At it's height, there were about 60-70 people at this party. I spent half of my time in the kitchen, where conversation is easier, away from the speakers, and out on deck in the backyard, where smoking was permitted and the conversation liveliest. Down in the basement a group played poker. Most of the people I met were young professionals, less than a decade out of college. They were mostly smart, fairly funny, and somewhat arrogant in that cute way that 20-somethings often can be. Life hadn't kicked their asses yet, but things were definitely starting to get real. Adult real. Talk of impending marriages and first kids, and buying houses floated freely around the party, but I was one of the few at the party standing on the other side of all that - my peer group mostly has all that, and some of us have already had it and lost it - divorces and custody battles, and going back to renting one bedroom apartments to start all over again. But for these people last night, there was hope and promise in all these things, and that in turn, made me feel good, and younger.

For his part, Clive did alright. At some point in the first half of the party, he played this song, "Bumper", by Cults, and I remember sitting at the kitchen table thinking that I should make this song this week's S4TW, and here we are. I'm not really hungover right now, but I was drinking gin and tonics last night, and today I'm slightly queasy, and just feeling weird.

Hotcha! Hank

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home