07 October 2011

Something 4 The Weekend # 222


Pentangle: The Pentangle: "Pentangling" [mp3]

One time a friend of mine let me goof around with some cool apps on his iPhone, and that's the full extent of my experience with Apple. I've never touched one of their products, and I've never even visited iTunes.

But I'm still somewhat saddened by Steve Jobs passing this Wednesday. If for no other reason than he died of pancreatic cancer, the same cancer that took my mom, so I understand all too well what he and his loved ones went through. But there is at least one other reason - his company makes really beautiful machines. Not only beautiful, but functional. Not only functional, but groundbreaking. Steve Jobs, perhaps as much as any other individual, helped usher us into the 21st century. I don't know if he could ever measure up to Thomas Edison, but rest assured people will still be talking about Steve Jobs at the end of this century.

Bert Jansch also died on Wednesday, of an uspecified cancer. He was a Scottish folk guitarist who busked around Europe in the early '60s before settling in London and founding the groundbreaking Jazz-Folk-Rock band Pentangle.

Pentangle are fucking amazing. The depth of the blues infused in Jansch's playing is often revelatory, but then, all five members of the band are rather brilliant. Check out Danny Thompson's bass-playing here, and tell me he's not a beast.

Pentanglers pentangling. Download this mp3 to yr iPad right now! A MUST!

Rest in peace, Steve Jobs. Rest in peace, Bert Jansch.

Hotcha! Hank

Labels: , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Dave Hollinden said...

That makes you the second non-Mac user, and essentially non-Mac-product toucher, that I know that was saddened by the passing of Steve Jobs for similar reasons. It seems that even for those that don't prefer Apple products, Jobs was a worthy adversary deserving of respect in the grand scheme of things.

October 13, 2011 6:51 AM  
Blogger Hank Mohaski said...

Emperor Dave!

How are you? Hope yr doing well. Where? What? Why? How? What's going on?

I like Apple's designs, and to a lesser extent, their marketing campaigns. I don't like the fanboys so much, but since I've never used and Apple product, I can't really understand the fervor, so...

I do wish he were more like Gates as far as the philanthropy goes, but who knows what the future of his estate/will might be, I suppose.

Anyways, glad to hear from you.

Hank

October 21, 2011 11:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home