11 September 2007

ROUGH RYDERS: Week One


As impressive as the Indianapolis Colts were (on both sides of the ball), Thursday night's opening game against the New Orlean Saints just didn't feel right. It felt like a pre-season game, despite the pre-game BIG GAME performances by Kelly Clarkson, Faith Hill, and John Mellencamp, none of whom performed songs or presented images that have anything in common with professional football, save slick, slick corporate professionalism and the fact that Mellencamp is from Indiana...

Anyways, the Colts almost completely shut down the potent Saints offense, including QB Drew Brees, meaning my fantasy opponent this week, The Hairy Nipples (managed by Gil), got off to a horrendous start. Meanwhile, my QB, Tony Romo, had a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuge first game,
throwing for 4 TDs and running for a fifth...In the end, that 40 point differential at QB made all the difference in this week's fantasy matchup. I probably won't be so lucky again...

I needed a career game from Romo to win my matchup this week, because the Hairy Nipples are fucking formidable, especially at WR, DB, and DL...35 fantasy points from the 4 defensive positions is SICK, and then consider that Brian Urlacher was the weak link in that chain...

The Hairy Nipples' 3 WRs combined for almost 80 fantasy points, which is just as impressive...For their part, my three WR did as expected, although it would have been nice to see Berrian find the endzone...Both Hines Ward and Chad Johnson scored TDs, and CJ was on his way to a monster game before being completely shut down in the second half of his game against Baltimore...

At running back, my #1 stud, LaDainian Tomlinson, was held to a meager 25 yards rushing by the Chicago Bears, but still managed a rather respectable 27 fantasy points, finding TD paydirt twice, once on the ground, and once as a passer...This is what makes him #1 in the fantasy football world...Even on an "off" day, he still outscores most everyone else...In fact, this week, Lamont Jordan was the only RB who scored more fantasy points than LT...My other back, Julius Jones, was completely average and unremarkable, but he's still my favorite RB in the NFL...
Elsewhere, my TE, Tony Gonzalez, had a subpar game (by his standards), which might be a common occurrence this season, as it appears the KC Chiefs are not going to be a very good football team.
Likewise, my kicker, Neil Rackers, had a subpar weekend, as well as all of my defensive players, with the possible exception of Lance Briggs, who was as solid and dependable as he ever was...
In the end, it was a fantasy matchup I really had no right in winning, or maybe this year's beloved Rough Ryders is better than I think they are...Next week should be interesting, as I'll start two rookies, Marshawn Lynch and Calvin Johnson, who had impressive NFL debuts this past weekend. It's going to be another tough matchup, against Just Another Team (managed by The Fractioneer), which appears to be much more than just another fantasy team...
Anyways, it's always nice to start off a new fantasy football season with a victory, something that rarely happens to our beloved Rough Ryders, so I'll take it, and relish it...Be sure to check back again next week, and every week, for my weekly Rough Ryders recap.
Hotcha!
Hank

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home