17 January 2008

How Sideways Is Now?



It's strange.

When The Smiths were active and in their prime, I was a teenager, and while I absolutely loved the band, I can't say that Morrissey's gloomy lyricism meant much to me. I was a happy teenager. I was popular at school, I always made the honor roll, I had great friends, I had a steady girlfriend who was fun to be with, and the sex was good'n'plenty, my parents were cool and supportive of me, etc...

But now that I'm in my 40's, I can finally relate to Morrissey's gloom. You see, I'm not a particularly happy man. I've mostly squandered whatever potential I had in my youth, I've seen few of my hopes and dreams come to fruition, I've lost touch with almost all of my old friends, I've made few new friends in adulthood, I've mostly lost faith in my fellow man, I never found deep and lasting love, and I don't really foresee anything in my life actually improving in the future.

Indeed, I now find a perverse comfort in Morrissey's bleakness that is more effective than anti-depressants. Life goes on.

Hotcha! Hank

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

On the plus side, the chick in this video is cute.

Hank. I love you - you are my spiritual guide, assuming the internet can substitute for mystical 4th (or above) dimensions these days.

I say it can.

I'm closing in on the 3-0 birthday (less than 8 months now) and I've achieved basically nothing of note... except a bitchin' collection of novels and a head full of smarmy cynicism... weeeeeeee...

January 18, 2008 3:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

stares blankly at a HOT POOP website entry, while holding a half gone bottle of booze, and ponders his own bland past...you're not alone, bro. I, and a godzillian others, feel yer pain. things could be worse, like spending 1 year and a half building boat docks in the upper pennisula while doing time in a prison camp for a felony you didn't commit...(cool song! one of my faves from them)

January 18, 2008 9:27 PM  
Blogger Hank Mohaski said...

Hi guys!

I certainly know I'm not alone in my mild malaise, which may be nothing more than my midlife crisis beginning to rear it's ugly head...And if I were to give more thought before this post, I probably wouldn't have written it.

Perhaps it's a tribute to Morrissey's words, because I've been listening to The Smiths alot lately, and I think perhaps the bleakness has colored my temper, moreso than merely reflecting it.

In any event, thanks for yr words, and reading HOT POOP, and GRUB - don't let that prison camp stint keep you down...Karma, or whatever powers that exist in our universe will more than make up for it somewhere down the road...Such as a cute chick, like the one in the video...

Hotcha!

January 19, 2008 1:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home