22 May 2008

FOCUS HOCUS POCUS



It's funny that our anonymous friend should mention "Hocus Pocus" by Focus in the comments of the albino post from the other day, and then share this video link...

Just last week I was pulling into the parking lot at work after lunch, when that very song started playing on the classic hits station I usually listen to in the car...

I said to myself, "Wow, The Lake hardly ever plays this tune!", and I sat in my car and listened to all 7 minutes of the damn thing...It's definitely one of the most ridiculous songs in the rock pantheon...And yet, ya can't deny how tight the band is, and even though this is about as prog as prog ever gets, there's still some swing to it...A bit of hip that most prog misses or ignores...

This YouTube video is something else entirely...

First of all, if I'm not mistaken, that's Gladys Knight introducing the band...Which is pretty damn surreal in it's own right...This is the Midnight Special, isn't it? I really oughta Netflix those DVDs one of these days...

And then you've got the singer...I guess that kind of animation might be expected from a Dutchman, although if there were any drugs involved in this performance, it would seem to be cocaine and not high grade cannabis...

The fact that the audio and video don't quite synch actually improves this video, I think...

Ahh, this is great theater...Thanks for the link, anonymous!

Hotcha! Hank

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Must be something in the water...

I didn't think that crypto was as potent that far upstream...half way between the flatulent bovine runoff and Jones Island. Regards

May 27, 2008 8:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A tangential aside...The Gladys Knight reference. "Midnight Train To Georgia". I recall hearing this song on my crummy transistor radio on WOKY...summer windows open...subliminally...when I should have been sleeping...and on the AM radio on a family summer vacation...4 AM...zoned out on Dramamine...crossing western Iowa.

I prefer this rendition to the recent American (False) Idol take.

From 1973...enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v78-ftcqpNw

May 27, 2008 8:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Radar...Love...

Going Dutch here. Please feel free to pass the Dutchie...on the left-hand side of course.

Misinterpreted lyric..Was it Brenda Lee or Brandon Lee coming on strong?

Enjoy the Little Richard intro.

Regards

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=503gY16QU_4&feature=related

June 01, 2008 10:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home