25 July 2008

Something 4 The Weekend # 77



NOMO describe themselves as "post-Afrobeat", which I suppose is fair enough...There's certainly a distinct flavor of Fela Kuti at work in their tunes, as well as other touchstones to the dark continent, and yet, there's a progressive Jazz element that seems to run through their sound which gives them a more European sensibility, bringing to mind such modern acts as Shining and Jaga Jazzist...I guess all this Eurojazz lumpen is the "post" part of their self-description...

Anyways, I really don't have anything else to say about NOMO except that Ghost Rock is quickly becoming my favorite new release of 2008...

And they're from Ann Arbor, Michigan...

And they're playing The Annex here in Madison in a couple of weeks...Aside from a recent Hold Steady show at The Majestic, this is the only local concert I've been excited about in the past 2-3 years, that's how fucking lame Madison's music/club scene is...Or how fucking lame I am...
Hotcha! Hank

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home