15 October 2008

ROUGH RYDERS 2008: Week Six


This week's victory over THE DOUG FLUTIES had more to do with their underperformance than our beloved WINONA ROUGH RYDERS own performance, which was slightly underwhelming itself. Nevertheless, a win is a win, and we are now 4-2 in the FICL.

Terrell Owens continues to disappoint, and now that Cowboys' QB Tony Romo is out for 4 weeks with a broken finger, who knows to what depths TO's uselessness will go...Even with former Lion WR Roy Williams being traded to Dallas, I don't have much hope of things improving. New QB starter Brad Johnson doesn't inspire any hope in me, and you might think the addition of Williams is a good thing, but I'm here to tell you that the dude is one of the most overrated WRs in the NFL. I couldn't tell you how many dropped passes I've witnessed from the man over the past 3 years...Some people say he's an elite WR, but some people are fucking morons.

On the bright side, the Saint's WR Marques Colston should be back in the ROUGH RYDERS' lineup in the next week or two from the thumb injury that has sidelined him through the first six weeks. And still, I feel like we're thin at the WR position, and the pickings are slim on the free agency wire.

The story this week, however, is New York Jets' RB Thomas Jones, who scored THREE touchdowns in their victory over the Bengals. I watched that game, and what I don't understand is why the Jets don't utilize Jones more than they have so far this season. He's proven to be a solid, dependable RB, and yet, they continue to use Leon Washington far too much in my mind. Washington is an adequate change-of-pace back, but I don't believe he's good enough to warrant the amount of time he gets in any given game. Still, I can't bitch too much, at least they're using Jones more than they did last year.

LB Nick Barnett continues to disappoint, and I finally had to pull the plug on him this week and send him to free agency. As a Green Bay Packer die-hard, I naturally watch every game, and it seems to me that Barnett has lost a step, or maybe even two steps, in the early part of this season. Where once he was the first hitter, and one of the guys at the bottom of any given pile, nowadays he's one of those guys who runs up to stand over the pile when the play is whistled dead, like a fucking cornerback, you know? It's sad.

Quentin Jammer had a big game this weekend, shutting down Randy Moss, and deflecting about 6 passes during the game. What a great DB...

Chris Cooley and his sausage had another solid game this week, though he didn't catch any TD passes, and he didn't accidently expose himself again. Oh well.

As far as my own brand of brilliance is concerned, I picked up Broncos' WR Brandon Stokley at the last minute, and he caught a touchdown pass for me, which was excellent. If he hadn't suffered his 10th concussion this Sunday, he may have caught more than 3 passes, but I'm not bitching.

I also grabbed the New Orleans Saints team Defense at the last minute, since Pittsburgh had a BYE this week, and they performed exactly how I expected them to against the fairly anemic Oakland Raiders offense. I had been carrying the Jacksonville Jaguar defense all season, but at the last minute didn't feel like having my QB Jay "Fucking Cuts" Cutler going up against my own team defense, so...

Like I said at the top, this week's victory over THE DOUG FLUTIES is attributable to their complete and utter underperformance...In fact, only two of their players, QB Aaron Rodgers (Green Bay Packer, huzzah!) and Cleveland DB Eric Wright exceeded the predictions of the completely inept Yahoo! Fantasy Football Oracles...

So, after six weeks of exciting FICL fantasy football action, our beloved WINONA ROUGH RYDERS are in second place with a record of 4-2. Next week, we face the 1-5 BUGMANIACS, but don't let that rotten record fool ya - this might very well be one of those so-called "trap games"...At the moment, we're only favored by 5 FP, which is a blip in a high scoring league like this one, and BUGMANIACS are capable of scoring huge if the luck goes his way just a little bit...

See you on the other side...

Hotcha! Hank

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home