28 November 2008

Something 4 The Weekend # 95


I think we take Beck for granted...

I mean, he never really goes away, so maybe we never get the chance to miss him, but I still think we kinda take him for granted...
Or maybe it's just me...I mean, I didn't really choose a Beck song for this week's S4TW. No, I couldn't decide, so I simply opened a random folder full of MP3s on my PC monitor, closed my eyes and clicked my mouse...This was the song I hit...
Beck hadn't even been on my mind this week, or in any recent weeks...That's all well and good, but I still think we take him for granted...
He's released 10 albums in 14 years, if I've done my math right, and in this day and age of artists working slow and milking their meager offerings, that's pretty impressive...Add in all the EPs and remix projects, and well, I've got 20 of 'em on my harddrive myself, and I know I'm far from complete...
In this regard, Beck reminds me of Elvis Costello and Bob Dylan, but for the sake of this post, let's stick with Dylan...
Critics and therefore fans have been waiting and looking for "the next Dylan" ever since Dylan was still in his fucking prime, but I've decided that Beck is the next Dylan.
Or maybe Elvis Costello was the next Dylan, and Beck is the next Elvis Costello...
Hmmm...
Here's what I'm thinking - all three are original voices half-rooted in tradition...Hard-working...Prolific recordings...Consistent while constantly evolving and exploring new styles and sounds...Work well with others...Dylan's and Beck's lyrics are often poetic and enigmatic, while Costello is nothing less than a masterful storyteller...And yes, to a certain extent, we take all three of 'em for granted...
Dylan and Costello are already living legends, but right here and now I'm gonna add Beck to that list...Barring a catostrophic motorcycle accident or whatnot, I believe that 20 years from now we're going to look back at a 35 year career of heavy touring, videowork and whatnot, and a catalog 40 albums thick...And most of it is gonna be good to excellent, none of it is gonna be half-assed and boring, and it's all gonna add up to an undeniably legendary career...
In the meantime, he'll just kinda float along our periphery, I suppose, just doing his thing...
Hotcha! Hank

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home