23 January 2009

Something 4 The Weekend # 103

Steely Dan: Pretzel Logic: "Any Major Dude Will Tell You" [mp3]

I think we'd all agree that there are different kinds of dudes...

My neighbor Jeff has the tattoos and gear to suggest he used to ride a Harley, and probably did some time in the drunktank and county/state lockup once or twice in his younger years...I haven't asked...He's a kind of dude...The kind you don't ask too many question...

My neighbor on the other side, Andy, wears NBA gear and did some time in a fraternity at UW-Oshkosh...He's the kind of dude who plays beer pong and online poker, and when he shoots hoops on his driveway, he pumps Jay-Z and whatnot from the booming system in his enormous and shiny black Ford F-250 pickup truck...In a college town like Madison, there are tons of these dudes...

I'm a third kind of dude, right in the middle of these other two dudes...I smoke a pipe and try to abide, you know? I'm the kind of dude who wears a bathrobe and goattee, and believes that a solid Steely Dan mix can bring a room together as well as a good rug...

Mr. Bryant down on the corner of my street is a retired Army Captain...That's one rank below Major, but believe me, old man Bryant is a major dude...Just imagine Jack Bauer at 60...Totally a major dude...

That's four different kinds of dudes on just my block...

Anyways...100 years ago, a true dude was a rich and ostentatious man-about-town who was crass and stupid...Ill-mannered and poorly-educated...

Nowadays, chicks can be dudes (though I'd never call 'em "dudettes"), and dudes are everywhere...Or maybe it just seems that way because so many dudes call everyone else a "dude" cuz pop culture makes us...I know I call dudes "dudes", and I call chicks "chicks", cuz that's the kind of dude I am, man...

Hotcha! Hank

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home