29 April 2009

Long Division In The Waiting Room





As much as I love Fugazi, I gotta admit, there's something about Ian MacKaye that has always kinda unsettled me. I can deal with his intensity, since the hardcore and post-punk scene was my scene for many years, and it's always been fairly intense. No, I think it's his earnestness, and the fact that he could get a bit preachy at times. I'm not 100% sure if he and the band were/are straight edge, but I can say that I never cared for straight edgers too much. As Abraham Lincoln once said, "It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues." Now, I'm not saying Ian MacKaye and the band have few virtues, but the band did attract plenty of straight edgers in their crowds, and those guys have always been a bit hinky, like they might get you in the kidney with a homemade shiv cuz yr smoking weed at the edge of the mosh pit. Not that Ian MacKaye likes mosh pits. In fact, he had a habit of stopping midsong in concert to bitch at slam dancers. I mean, it's his perogative to keep the fans safe, but c'mon, that is kinda lame, right?

Hotcha! Hank

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you've mentioned nowhere that Ian is cute. i am mentioning it now.

April 29, 2009 12:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home