21 February 2010

I Love Playing With Fire?????

I certainly don't want to belabor the "drama" of the previous post, but Cherie Currie's response to my apparently fact-deficient post brought this to mind immediately - a page taken from that giant CREEM book that was published a couple of years ago. I read CREEM pretty religiously back in my youth, and being an impressionable teen, I suppose I should wonder if CREEM's dislike of The Runaways became my own dislike.

I find it all somewhat amusing, though not really outright funny. The women of the Runaways seem to have a fixation on ass-kicking, whether they're the kickers or the asses (Joan's letter to CREEM, Cherie's response to my previous post), and it only makes me think about the idea that Rock'n'Roll has historically been a male-dominated field, and how hard it must have been for an all-female band like The Runaways to be taken seriously by anyone, let alone break through to any sort of popularity, nevermind respect.

It also makes me wonder if the women of The Runaways were hard-asses to begin with, or if they had to adopt that sort of ass-kicking posture/attitude to merely exist in that male-dominated world of Rawk. Either way, they stick up for themselves, and that's as it should be, especially with professional music journalists at major publications, and slightly less-so with armchair bloggers with seven readers.

Hotcha! Hank

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home