21 December 2007

Something 4 The Weekend # 49


I hate the way the word "fierce" got co-opted a couple of years ago by celebrities, homosexuals, celebrity homosexuals, talkshow hosts, the fashion industry and those young hipster doofuses who hang out at Nick's Diner...Pretty soon, any given pair of Manolo pumps were fierce, and suddenly Reese Witherspoon was fierce, and I'm sorry, but I think the word "fierce" ought to be limited to usage in things like Wu-Tang Clan lyrics, Szechuan menus, or Kathy Acker novels.

But then there's Carla Bozulich. Despite the paragraph I just wrote, I can't help but say that Carla Bozulich is fierce, and this particular song, "Dragon Lady", is a pretty damn fierce song, but then a song called "Dragon Lady" has to be, doesn't it?


Originally recorded in 1993 in Los Angeles, "Dragon Lady" displays all of the loud/soft dynamics popularized by The Pixies and championed by Nirvana, and is ultimately just as intense and affecting as anything either of those other bands ever did...To my ears, however, the music itself, the symphony of feedback and dissonant harmonies, reminds me of something Sonic Youth would have been doing at about that same time...

Anyways, from the first time I heard "Dragon Lady", I was utterly hooked...It immediately became one of those PUMP IT UP ANTHEMS of mine, those songs I play to get psyched for writing, or Greco-Roman wrestling, or sexing...

Speaking of...When I first heard "Dragon Lady" I also started thinking maybe my girlfriend at that time was a dragon lady herself...She wasn't Asian, but she certainly was cunningly seductive...And/or seductively cunning...But that's a different post...Maybe even a different blog.

Yeah, yeah!

Hotcha! Hank

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home