06 September 2009

Something 4 The Weekend # 134


My friend and former co-worker, Taber, got married this weekend, and as any friend and former co-worker would do, I went to the wedding/reception. It was a grand affair, capping off a whirlwind 8 year romance/courtship, and I believe they'll have a long and happy marriage, despite now living in Los Angeles, land of divorces and general neuroses...
Now, this sour and sarcastic song by Joe Jackson is not aimed at Chris and Christine Taber, but rather, sums up my general feelings of being a middle-aged single man at a wedding reception. Particularly a wedding reception where most of the attendees are already coupled up, and/or significantly younger than I am...
Which is not to say I went to this reception looking for a hook-up or the blossoming of a new romance...
You see, I'm quite happy being single...Well, most of the time I'm quite happy about it...However, it's tough to remain sunny about these self-imposed circumstances when there's so much love/lust in the air. A wedding reception is one of those events where I certainly begin second guessing my choice of bachelorhood. A time when I actually feel lonely, rather than just being alone...Which is why I'm streaming "Happy Loving Couples" for this week's S4TW...
So, I drank heavily...If you consider 9 Gin & Tonics and 2 glasses of red wine in about 3 hours heavy drinking...
And I danced...And when DJ Papi Love (another good friend and ex-coworker) needed to take bathroom breaks, I took over the soundsystem to keep the party going...During one of these breaks, we were coming up on a slow-jam segment, and I learned something - 20somethings do not like Echo & The Bunnymen...Even a song as beautifully moody and perfect as "The Killing Moon"...It would seem this younger generation doesn't care much for slow-tempo songs in general - if they want to slow dance, they'll just do it no matter what song is playing at the time...
Kids - there's no accounting for taste...
(Congratulations again, Chris and Christine)
Hotcha! Hank

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home