18 April 2008

Something 4 The Weekend # 64


So basically, Pitchfork (well, a writer named Marc Masters) gave Fuck Buttons' Street Horrrsing album an 8.6 out of 10, and he wrote about how these two guys from Britain began making harsh noise rock, but quickly started adding lovelier, more melodic elements to their original rough edges, and he mentions a "tribal Boredoms meets Animal Collective mode", and whattya know? I fucking love Boredoms to the tune of approximately $500 worth of imported CDs, vinyl, posters, and an Onani Bomb t-shirt, and Animal Collective are pretty cool too (and Pitchfork-approved) so I clicked on the DOWLOAD IT FROM EMUSIC link, and downloaded it immediately, without listening to any samples, because I've got an eMusic account.
Yeah, every month I get 65 downloads for $15, so it's easy to download a 6 song album like Street Horrrsing cuz the math works out to $1.38 for the entire album, and it always gets me wondering, "Who's making any decent money off of this kind of deal?" The two Brits who are Fuck Buttons can't be getting much cheese outta this, you know? ATP Records ain't getting rich off this kinda deal either. Emusic probably isn't making much from Fuck Buttons specifically, but they've got 3.5 million tracks available for download, and it's a quantity game, like so many cans of Coke and McDonalds' cheeseburgers...
But this is how it's done these days, innit?
I've always been a firm believer in the idea that "information wants to be free", and I've copyright infringed my ass off through the years (mixed tapes, mixed CDs, unlicensed sampling, pirate radio, music blogging), but you better believe, as someone who once had dreams of rock'n'roll fame and riches, I do get a twinge of guilt every time I hit that DOWNLOAD ALL button at eMusic...Three years ago I would have made my weekly visit to B-Side and/or Madcity, and plunked down my $10 or $12 bucks for the actual Fuck Buttons CD, and would have felt alright knowing it probably bought those guys a pint or two, not $1.38 to be divided at least three ways...
(Of course, I still buy 2-3 new CDs a week to this day)
Yeah, fucking buttons, kinda fucking over bands like Fuck Buttons, I reckon...
On the other hand, Marc Masters mentions in his Pitchfork review that the band gave away the album for free on their website a year ago, so who am I to get slightly twisted over this? I may have dreams of fame and money, but I've always been a true believer anyways, making my own music and whatnot cuz I love doing it...I've got gigs worth of tunes nobody's ever heard...I've got plenty of comic strips I'll never upload...The EVERYTHINGATHON! podcast probably has about a dozen regular listeners, but I'll keep on doing the thing every month until it isn't any fun, and then I'll find something else to do...Maybe finish that fucking Warlord Jeff screenplay once and for all...The point is - these Fuck Button guys gave it away, so they're doing it all for right reasons, and yeah, it's pretty cool stuff...It does remind me of latter-day Boredoms, and Animal Collective, and maybe even Kraftwerk, or Can, and M83...I'm not sure if it's truly an 8.6 kinda album, but it's worth more than $1.38...
I guess it all come back to these ongoing lamentations of mine about some vague notion of a "post-album culture"...I download the album on the waaaay cheap (and yeah, I KNOW exactly how big a fucking hypocrite I am for taking advantage of this whole new business model, but I do limit myself to those 65 monthly downloads, really I do), and the album only exists on a computer screen, there's nothing to hold and study and get intimate with, and if I want the album cover art, I gotta google search, and if I'm lucky, I might actually find something 500x500 (but rarely any bigger), which to me is another sign that nobody truly cares about stuff like cover art and liner notes and lyrics, which you gotta piece together through any number of blogs and online interviews and whatnot...
The information IS free, I suppose, but it's a fucking bitch to get a firm grip on...Oh wait, it's all pixels on a screen...I can't get a grip at all...It's just a damn shame for a dinosaur like me, cuz it all feels so cheap and meaningless...Devalued...
I dunno...Maybe I'm thinking about this all wrong...Maybe this new business model, this new distribution scheme, is actually making the music purer...Stripped of everything else that sad aging Seymours like me fetishize about, the music is almost all that's left...And there ain't no Enids either...
Hotcha! Hank

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home