25 April 2008

Something 4 The Weekend # 65


I basically know nothing about Frank Turner beyond what he says in his BIO over at his website...It's the typical story of a young British lad who falls in love with rock'n'roll, starts playing guitar, stars a rock band, sees a bit of local success until the band ends and he starts playing solo gigs as a folky type dude, continuing to try breaking through to bigger and bigger fame and success.


I didn't even know any of that when I downloaded his Campfire Punkrock EP from eMusic a while back. I downloaded the EP based upon the title alone, which quickly brought to mind Michelle Shocked (The Texas Campfire Tapes) and Billy Bragg (one man, one guitar, and a rebellious nature)...I really like Michelle Shocked and I really love Billy Bragg, so...

What I found was that Frank Turner's songs aren't necessarily earthshaking in their composition, but the man is a compelling lyricist/storyteller, and I found myself affected fairly often by some rather poignant and oftentimes humorous observations about modern life, and sometimes, that's more than enough.

Hotcha! Hank

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home