30 May 2008

Something 4 The Weekend # 70

My best friend at work, Taber, is moving to Los Angeles this weekend...As I type this, he is probably still boxing up his absolutely fucking enormous DVD collection...

He is moving out there with the hope of becoming Seth Rogen's stunt double, and if that doesn't happen, he's hoping for the same thing most LA immigrants do - a fun job in the film or television industry, ultimately as a writer, director or producer...I wish him well, and think he's got as good a shot as anybody - he studied film in college, he's seen a billion films, he's witty and certainly capable of quality writing and informed directing/producing...He knows how the industry works, and understands the mechanics of filmmaking...I just hope he's got enough faith in himself and enough motivation to make it all work in his favor...

But what does Taber's quest for Hollywood glory have to do with Pavement, and more importantly, what does all of this have to do with me?

*snicker*

Well, I have similar Hollywood dreams - to sell scripts, to supervise and produce soundtracks and scores, blah blah blah...I'm just not motivated enough...

That, and I fucking hate Southern California...

Pavement: Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain: "Unfair" [mp3]

On the other hand, I love Northern California...From about Monterey/Santa Cruz northward...I'd love to live in San Francisco...On the edge of Chinatown, methinks...

Of course, Humboldt and Marin would be cool...Crescent City has it's charms, as does Eureka. Of course, our good friend Bigfoot spends alot more time in NorCal than he does to the south, and that's a major selling point for me...

Pavement are from Stockton, which is about 50 or so miles east of Berkeley...This song, "Unfair", is about whatever rivalry exists between northern and southern California, or at the very least, about Stephen Malkmus' loathing for SoCal, which fairly represents my own misgivings...Actually, it's about the socio-economic disparities which exist within the state, with the populous SoCal essentially exploiting the natural resources of Norcal and being a bunch of snooty douchebags all the while...

LOL...

This animosity wasn't new to Malkmus. On their previous album, Slanted And Enchanted, they went so far as the song "Two States", which is about exactly what the title implies...

Pavement: Slanted & Enchanted: "Two States" [mp3]

I wish you all the best, Taber...May you conquer the vampires of Hollywood and all that ridiculous traffic...May you identify the spies and the best taco wagons...

I'll miss our little imaginary film review show that we did in the mailroom every week...My elitist art houses tendencies taking on yr democratic and populist tastes...And yet we're about 90% alike according to Netflix...

Go figure, and give it to 'em...

Hotcha! Hank

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home