05 December 2008

Something 4 The Weekend # 96

Q-Tip: The Renaissance: "Move" [mp3]

So, I was over at a buddy's house the other day, just chillin' with a pipe and a glass of brandy, and we're watching MTV2, I think, and a video for this song comes on the screen, and I was reminded that Q-Tip has got a new solo album on the shelves, and that can only be a good thing...I was so excited that the album was finally released, that I actually stopped by Best Buy on my way home and picked up a copy of The Renaissance...

It's a damn fine album, worth waiting for Q-Tip to settle his legal woes with Sony, which kept him from releasing any new material for almost a fucking decade...

And, it's pretty much exactly what you'd expect from Q-Tip - smart and inventive lyrics ably delivered with his unique style over super-funky and soulful music. In the case of this particular song, beats and sounds are courtesy of the late, great J Dilla, who died nearly three years ago, which gives you an idea of how long some of the songs on The Renaissance have been in the can...

Anyways, I hope this really is a rebirth for Q-Tip, a re-awakening of his career after all these years. He's obviously still got 100% of his game, and it's such a great alternative to whatever the fuck Chamillionaire and T-Pain rap about these days...

Or am I just showing my age once again?

Hotcha! Hank

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love this Ray Davies clip on GMA.

Everything from protecting your performance to talking to your boss.

Plus Cindy Crawford shows us that making up ain't so hard to do....if you have the right products...plus Bill Murray...

surreal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS7wM2T80ls&feature=related

December 06, 2008 8:50 PM  
Blogger Hank Mohaski said...

LOL - surreal indeed...

I always assume that these anchor people know absolutely nothing about the artists they're presenting - like here, I can't fathom Joan Lunden liking or knowing anything about Ray Davies or The Kinks, so when she namechecks "Well-Respected Man" in her first question, I can only imagine she's never heard of the song before in her life...

I guess this is my own weird projection or something, the idea that the Joan Lundens of the media world only listen to stuff like Celine Dion...

Anyways, thanks for the clip - an interesting and welcome rendition of "Come Dancing", for sure...

December 12, 2008 9:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home