08 January 2010

Something 4 The Weekend #149


You wanna talk big, bombastic UK bands from the 1980's? Yes, yes you do...
Well, they didn't get much more grandiose than Simple Minds, and that includes U2, Bono's ego included. And I don't necessarily mean this in a negative way, because for a few years in the early-mid 1980's, there were few bands that delivered as grandly as Simple Minds. Not only did they have a larger-than-life sound that could fill even the biggest stadiums, but they had good songs. Sometimes even great songs. It isn't a fluke that "Don't You (Forget About Me)" remains one of the best-known and most-loved songs of that decade. Jim Kerr and company had skills.
They had evolved from what I can only describe as "Art Punk" beginnings, into something much more accessible and engaging, and like I said, they got so good at what they did that I'd argue they beat U2 at their own game - that being the big, bombastic sound I mentioned before. Hell, I preferred Simple Minds myself, much as I loved U2, because Kerr didn't mire his lyrics in self-important political claptrap the way Bono often did. Simple Minds were a serious band, but they weren't fucking humorless, and they didn't take themselves too seriously. They weren't interested in changing the world, they just wanted to be the best band they could possibly be. And for a brief glorious moment in time, they were.
Plus, Jim Kerr was married Chrissie Hynde for awhile, for my money the most righteous babe to ever strap on an electric guitar and school the boys in RAWK. That adds plenty of legitimacy in my book.
Hotcha! Hank

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home