30 December 2007

SUPER DOOM UNIT: 2007 Season Recap

While reporting extensively about our beloved WINONA ROUGH RYDERS all season, I have obviously neglected my 2nd fantasy football team, the SUPER DOOM UNIT, and for very good reason - they sucked pretty damn hard, as you can see by the COLECO LEAGUE final standings...
The SUPER DOOM UNIT finished in 11th place, tied for the worst record in the league, while amassing the second lowest team score for the season.


There are two major reasons why my team did so poorly in this league, this year.

First of all - The COLECO LEAGUE is a much more difficult league than the APFL, where I typically do very well. The COLECO LEAGUE is 12 teams, rather than just 10, and 11 of those 12 team managers were active and involved with their teams all season, whereas about half of the managers in the APFL pay any sort of attention after draft day. This makes the free agency and waiver pools much more difficult to fish from during the season - you gotta be quick, and almost psychic, to land the really precious unknowns, like Ryan Grant...With more involved managers, you also never run across teams with empty slots in their lineups, or half their players on BYES or out for the season on IR, yet still in their lineup...

The second reason the SUPER DOOM UNIT did so horribly this year is because of injuries and bad timing regarding my top three draft picks...

Drew Brees was my 3rd round pick at QB, and most people expected him to have another monster year, yardage-wise, but his first three games were absolute disasters...Which ended up negating the slightly above average performances of my 1st and 2nd round picks, Rudi Johnson and Marvin Harrison gave me in those early weeks...

Then Rudi Johnson went down with a hamstring injury in Week Three and Marvin Harrison went down with a knee injury early in Week Four, and Rudi's out for the next 6 weeks, and Marvin never comes back, and what's a poor boy to do?

I did have the Purple Jesus, Adrian Peterson, and he was pretty much the only bright spot in my lineup all season, with Drew Brees eventually becoming a dimmer light, and my kicker, Jason Hanson, actually winning a game for me...That's how brutal this season was...Here's a typical matchup which kinda shows the ragtag lineup I had to hobble together out of fading stars and B-listers...Naturally, this matchup highlights one of the two weeks PURPLE JESUS missed with a knee injury, while my opponent had Chester Taylor in his lineup since draft day, even though Taylor mostly sat on the bench up to this particular weekend...



Kenny Watson gave me two or three good weeks in place of Rudi Johnson, but certainly not enough to help me win...In general, I can't believe Rudi will be a #1 RB next year if he stays in Cincinnati...

Patrick Crayton wasn't the answer...The Green Bay Packers' rookie WR James Jones wasn't the answer either...Warrick Dunn is definitely already in his twilight years...Brandon Stokley didn't ramp up his game as much as he should have when Javon Walker went down to injury, so he wasn't an answer either...I had my man-crush Julius Jones on this team as well, but as long as he's in Dallas, he's not the answer either...

Anyways, that's about it...A wretched season that could have been much better if I had Rudi and Marvin healthy, but then again, who knows...The team and season might have been doomed from the start, when Yahoo! didn't allow the original name THEE 100% SUPER DOOM UNIT, because it had too many characters...

Hotcha! Hank

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home