29 April 2008

RIP Albert Hofmann


Albert Hofmann, the Swiss scientist who first synthesized LSD in 1938, has died today at the age of 102.

"I think that in human evolution it has never been as necessary to have this substance LSD. It is just a tool to turn us into what we are supposed to be." - Albert Hofmann

My own experiences with LSD weren't outstanding (they didn't outright suck either), but nonetheless, I am glad that I experimented with the drug a bit in my college years, and sometimes still wonder exactly how much residual effect the drug actually had on my subconscious in the intervening years.

Otherwise, all I can say is that I believe the world is a better place with hallucinogens than without, and Mr. Hofmann must be given props for his "accidental" discovery. The image above is in reference to Hoffman's infamous bike ride home on the day he ingested 250 micrograms of the substance, which kickstarted his self-experimentation with the drug.

Rest in peace, Albert Hofmann.

Hotcha! Hank

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home