20 November 2006

Let's Go To The Mall!



Back in 1987, I was in a band called Mumniti. We were five entirely pretentious art punks who were mad at the world, and more specifically, the recording industry, because there we were, a middling band on the Milwaukee scene, watching acts like Richard Marx, Wang Chung, and The Jets on MTV and sitting near the top of the Billboard charts.

Oh, we were smart enough to realize our Art Punk pretensions would never make us rich or famous, but I think we were too young and naive to understand exactly how Pop Culture behaves and exists.

Anyways, I remember one night, after a typical band practice, we sat around Biff's living room with our girlfriends and a couple other hangers on, and we took turns talking to teenybopper strangers on the Tiffany Hotline, a 1-900 chatline brought to synergistic life through the wonder that was Tiffany, heir to Debbie Gibson's teen pop throne. Tiffany, who's ascent to that throne went through any and every mall in America.

So, here we are.

I watched the CBS sitcom, How I Met Your Mother, tonight, and the big payoff of the episode was this video, which shows one of the characters in her teenage years, when she was a Canadian pop princess who rose to semi-fame via a mall tour of her own.

I laughed a little, and I cried a little. I laughed because America really loved its denim back in the late '80's, and I cried because Mumniti was a great fucking band, and I miss those guys.

Hotcha!
Hank

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home