11 December 2008

F$cking Squirrels

Some of you are probably already aware of my "problem" with squirrels. They are obnoxious little bullies who will not hestitate to fuck you up, if given the opportunity. For example, I have no doubt that moments after this photograph was taken, that little bastard started gnawing on this poor dude's jugular, and unless quick and extreme first aid was administered, this dude is dead. Squirrels will do that sort of shit, with no hesitation, like a little rabid ninja, or a furry mafia hitman.

Now, you may be wondering why I have misgivings about squirrels, so I'll tell you.

It all started once crisp, beautiful day in the autumn of 1982. My girlfriend at the time, Pamela, and I were taking a leisurely stroll through Kettle Moraine State Park, looking for a decent clearing in which to unleash our carnal desires upon each other, when suddenly and out of nowhere, I was hit in the head with a falling walnut. Pamela and I made nothing of it - nuts fall from trees all the time.

When a second walnut hit Pamela in the head a few moments later, we did make something of it, because c'mon - two walnuts hitting two different people directly on the noggin within seconds of each other isn't just a vagary of nature.

We both looked up, and what did we see? Three red squirrels sitting together on the same tree branch, about 30 feet above us. Moments later, a falling walnut hit me directly in the eye, and soon after that, several more walnuts started raining down upon us. These three squirrels were organized, and they were purposefully dropping walnuts on us for no good reason.

These three squirrels started chattering the way squirrels will do, and soon we realized that approximately two dozen squirrels had congregated in several different trees around us, and they all started dropping nutbombs on us.

We panicked and ran, and that was when we realized just how much danger we were in...

Not only were there dozens upon dozens of squirrels perched in the trees above the path we were travelling, dropping assorted nuts on us, but now there were a dozen or more squirrels chasing us down the path, only about 30-40 feet behind us, and slowly gaining...

At some point, Pamela tripped and fell. Almost immediately, those squirrels who were chasing us were upon her, biting her all over her body. She screamed in agony, and was bleeding everywhere. I tried most valiantly to get those rotten bastards off of her, swinging at them with my walking stick and kicking at them with my hiking boots., and even trying to punch them in their evil little faces. This, had little effect, and when they finally had enough of Pamela, they turned on me.

Pamela screamed "GET OUT OF HERE! SAVE YOURSELF!"

But of course, I was a gentleman, even at the age of 16, and I wasn't going to abandon her. And so I fought those furry little assholes off of me the best I could. I killed and maimed a few, sure, but they were definitely getting the better of me, and I was getting bitten all over my body, and believe me, it was the most excruciating pain I have ever felt.

Eventually I was able to fight off enough of the evil little dickwads that I was able to pull Pamela to her feet and carry her the best I could, and as fast as I could, down the wooded path, out of the forest, and back to our car in the parking lot.

We both collapsed against the car, and looked back towards the forest, where we saw a couple dozen squirrels, stained with our blood, sitting there neatly in a row on the edge of the trees, staring at us with their crazed little eyes.

I'm pretty sure they were laughing.

This was my first adversarial encounter with squirrels, but it certainly wasn't my last.

Fucking squirrels, man.

Hotcha! Hank

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Songbird said...

Squirrels are in fact evil. I found this out when I was living in DC. I had moved into an upper apartment on a very beautiful, tree-lined street. One day, while I was sitting in my sun room and writing a paper, I heard this strange hissing.

I looked all over, but couldn't find any wild animals in my apartment. It was then that I noticed the squirrel staring at me from outside my window. As soon as I took note, it hissed and scrambled down the brick using its nasty little claws.

The problem worsened when my roommate was attacked while leaving the apartment. A squirrel actually jumped on her head, leaving some nasty scratches. Good thing she worked for the CDC and rabies shots were free.

The rats in the back alley rebelled though when the squirrels started to get into the garbage. Soon, there were less squirrels around, and the rats became larger in size.

True story.

December 11, 2008 9:52 PM  
Blogger Hank Mohaski said...

I can relate to the hissing.

We had too many squirrels in our yard, once upon a time, so my dad and I put out live traps. Once the traps were full, we'd take the squirrels out to some rural area 15-20 miles away, and let the little buggers go free.

Well, in between, we'd let those squirrels sit in the cages in our garage until the weekend, or whatever, when we had time to get rid of 'em, and damn it if those little buggers didn't hiss like dragons whenever you got anywhere near the cages. I seem to recall a bit of spitting as well.

As for the nut-dropping - the story I told here was BS, obviously, but it is based on reality = I used to hunt squirrels with a buddy of mine when we were teenagers, and one time several squirrels were actively, purposefully dropping acorns on us from high tree branches because we were trying to kill them for their stringy, gamey meat. True!

December 12, 2008 2:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home