22 September 2006

Something 4 The Weekend # 6


Last month Sleater-Kinney played their last gig in their hometown of Portland before going on "an indefinite hiatus". Some would say the band had "broken up", and I guess they did, but I suspect they'll eventually get back to playing a charity gig here and there, maybe do an album in 2014, if the world hasn't ended by then...Hiatus or break-up, it's sad either way. S-K were a great rock band, one worth championing...Rooting for...And we may never hear anything new from them, ever again..."One More Hour" was the last song they played at that last gig...

Sleater-Kinney: One More Hour: 128kbps mp3

They had a damn fine run, though...A solid decade plus...Seven great and solid LPs...An electrifying live show I only had the pleasure of seeing once, back in the heady Hot Rock days before the end of the century...They fucking ruled...One of the finest straight-up rock shows I've ever seen...Nothing fancy, just pure spirit and fury...

Sleater-Kinney: Entertain: 128kbps mp3

Ahh, Janet Weiss (the one in the middle)...It might just be the bangs, but I look at her, and this feeling comes over me...It's just a hunch that she just might be the most perfect woman alive...She's pretty, but in this unassuming way that just kinda sneaks up on ya after awhile...I look at her and the first word that comes to mind is "fun", and then "sweet", and then "smart" and what else do ya want or need in a woman? Well, yeah, the sexy bit...I lust hard for Janet, but I also think she's one of the finest drummers working the rock world these days, and yeah, that figures into the lust, too...She joined S-K for Dig Me Out, and that's when the band finally became this undeniable force of Rock nature...

Sleater-Kinney: The Ballad Of A Ladyman: 128kbps mp3

In a cool and righteous world, Sleater-Kinney will someday be inducted into the Rock'n'Roll Hall Of Fame, whether or not such an honor actually matters...

And finally, singer/guitarist Corin Tucker and her husband, Lance Bangs, have a son named Marshall Tucker Bangs, which just may be the coolest fucking name I've ever heard in my life, and makes me love Sleater-Kinney all the more...It also makes me want to pull out some old Marshall Tucker Band vinyl, but that'll hafta wait...

So, enjoy these three tunes from one of the all-time great power trios in RAWK, and take time out of yr afternoon tomorrow to go pick up one of their albums...They're all good to great, from beginning to end, so you can't go wrong...

Hotcha! Hank

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home